Friday 6 April 2012

Words really are mighty

Last night, somewhere in the early a.m., during a phone conversation, I said something that I thought was very profound. It wasn't received very well - I was asked to shut up and not dispense gyaan at such an ungodly hour, and I immediately thought fine, I am so going to write about this - of course I promptly passed out within minutes of that thought, so it didn't happen.

But still, this is me attempting to explain why I think words are so powerful, and why it surprises me so much that people don't seem to think so.

I am usually very careful about what I say, notable possible exceptions being when I am either very drunk or very nervous, or when I am caught completely off-guard by something. I measure my words carefully, and agonise over using just the right expression to put something across. I am always conscious about how what I say will be perceived by people. Sometimes this manifests itself in ways as ridiculous as me taking twenty minutes to craft an email that essentially has to say something as simple as, we will evaluate the same and get back to you.

And I don't think this is such a terrible thing. Because watching what you say can potentially save you from a lot of trouble. I wonder if I am the only person who does this? Do people usually just say the first thing that comes into their head? I know that there are times when people have thought that I do just say the first thing that comes into my head. But I know that if that's the impression that people got of me, then it's exactly what I intended to convey.

Lately I've begun to wonder often, whether in so many years of being careful of portraying myself in a certain way, I've forgotten who I am when no-one is around.

No comments:

Post a Comment